Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bliss

When it comes to disgruntlement I am a mere amateur compared to Ed Reardon. I had the great pleasure of seeing Christopher Douglas perform "An audience with Ed Reardon" at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe last summer. I decided I wanted to go to the fringe every summer from then on but I never suspected that I would be appearing myself. Book now for "Retail Therapy" at Greenside venue from 13th to 18th August. But I digress. Ed is everything a grumpy old man should be, despising the 12-year-olds who run the mass media, astounded at the widespread success of the illiterate and the vulgar and scrabbling unsuccessfully for the crumbs that fall from their undeservedly rich tables. Spot on, Ed. In the new series he gets to spend time with Jenny Agutter and is still disgruntled ! Pace Wordsworth, "Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be old was very heaven."

No comments: